Is Council Tax important?

Your Council Tax bill is a ‘priority bill’ so you must make sure you budget to pay this regularly.

Each year, the Council will set a price of Council Tax for each valuation band (which is based on the property you live in).

Top tips

  1. Budget your money
  2. Know your income
  3. Ask for advice

The full Council Tax bill is based on the assumption that two adults are living in a property.

You may not have to pay the full amount of council tax as discounts and Council Tax Support may be available. You can learn more about Council Tax Support here.  Alternatively, you can email the Cash Wise Team or Wakefield Council for more information.

Discounts may be applied to the following:

Single occupancy If you are the only adult living in a property you may be entitled to a 25% ‘single occupancy’ discount
Empty Properties Empty properties attract a 100% discount for 1-month from the date which the property became empty and unfurnished After 1 month, empty properties are charged the full charge. (Please note: this does not apply where someone who normally lives in a property is temporarily absent)
Apprentices An apprentice will not be counted if they are employed to learn a job and, as part of that learning, are undertaking training leading to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications. The Apprentice must be paid a maximum of £195 per week (before tax)
Care workers A discount can apply for care workers who:

  • provide care or support to one or more people on behalf of a local authority or charity (or employed by a company or individual to do so, but having been introduced to them by a charity),
  • are employed for at least 24 hours per week,
  • are paid no more than £44 per week, and
  • live in the premises provided for their job
Carers Discounts are available for people who:

  • Provide care to someone who is receiving Attendance Allowance, or the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate, or the enhanced daily living component of Personal Independent Payment, or an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension, or an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance –


  • Live in the same place as the person they care for,
  • Provide the care for an average of at least 35 hours a week,
  • Is not caring for their husband, wife or partner • And is not caring for a child under 18
Family Annexes A 50% discount can apply if an annex is used as part of the main property, or is occupied by a relative of the person living in the main property
  • If you are of working age and have not reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, you will only be eligible to claim for up to 70% of your Council Tax bill. This means that you will have at least 30% of your bill to pay
  • If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, you will be eligible to claim support for your whole Council Tax bill. The amount you get will depend on your income and circumstances.
  • You cannot claim Council Tax Support if you and your partner have over £16,000 in savings, unless you are getting Guaranteed Pension Credits (PCGC)

How do I claim?

Online The quickest and easiest way to claim log onto Remember to make a note of your unique reference number in case you need to return to your form later to finish it
By telephone Call 0345 850 4504 and an advisor will arrange to call you back
In person Collect a form from Wakefield One or WDH Service Access Points

Important – you must contact Wakefield Council if your circumstances change.

If you don’t, it may mean you are losing out on money you are entitled to, or you could be being paid too much. A change in your circumstances could include:

  • Starting or losing a job
  • Someone moves in or out
  • You move to a different address
  • You start or stop receiving other benefits
  • Any other change to your income or savings

Did you know?

Council Tax Support is for people on a low income to meet some of the cost of Council Tax. It is means tested, so the money you have saved, together with your household circumstances, will affect the amount of help you may be entitled to.