Leave a lasting impression
Here’s our advice on the key things to need to do to make your job interview a resounding success.
- Ask for advice
Here are some sample questions
- Tell me about yourself?
- Focus on any transferable skills relevant to the post
- What do you know about us?
- Research key facts about the company beforehand
- What do you look for in a job? / Why does this job interest you?
- Focus on relevant points from the job description / person specification
- Why should we offer you the position?
- Emphasise all of your relevant skills and experience, and your enthusiasm for the position
Download our full factsheet here.
Questions for you to ask the interviewer
Always ask questions, as it shows interest and enthusiasm for the position. Ask around 3 questions, and make sure you don’t ask something that has already been answered within the interview! Example questions:
- How has this position become available / How did this post arise?
- How big is the team / who are the other members of staff that I’ll be working alongside?
- What training and development opportunities are available?
- How long is the contract?
- What are the days and hours of work?
- When can I expect to hear from you regarding whether I have been successful?
- What do YOU (the interviewer) enjoy most about working here?
- What are the company’s/organisation’s long and short term goals?
- If it’s shifts / part-time, etc, what are the hours?